Sign in to follow this  
Dennis McCree Sr.

why do so many people play as the opposite sex at the tables ?

18 posts in this topic

I play on xbox1 and i have noticed that at almost every table there is always one or more male players (judging by the name and gamerpic on profile) that are dressed in "drag" or as a female player. I realize that poker is a game of deception, but i feel like that's carrying  it a little to far. Maybe it's a whole different thing and i am reading them wrong? I know that you get an achievement for doing it for one hand ( or maybe a whole round since you can't change clothes in the middle of a match   ) but i am retired and i play often and i see the same people over and over again doing it. Maybe someone can shine a little light on the issue for me.

When I play any game (emphasis on ANY, I'm not just talking about Prominence) where I have to choose a male or female avatar, I always pick the hottest/cutest female available because I'm a heterosexual male that likes looking at Women. If I'm going to be looking at characters on a screen the whole time, I'd rather be looking at a very cute/hot female.

As for Prominence, all the avatars do the same thing so who cares whether it's a male or female? How is that meant to deceive? My actions/game play should deceive, not how I look. Good or bad players come in all shapes and sizes and sexes. It sounds like you're saying the female players are deceiving because they're really males and males are better (sorry if that's not what you meant, but that's how I read it).

Does it really matter though?  I am a female and always chose female characters if I can.  They have the best hair/clothing options after all... ;)

It's not an issue unless you chose to make an issue out of it.

LET.  PEOPLE.  ENJOY.  THEIR.  GAME.

27 minutes ago, Dennis McCree Sr. said:

i am just trying to understand why someone would want to use a gender different from what they really are.........some good points have been made. 

Because they are more comfortable being a gender different than what they  are.

Think LBGT. 

Masquerade?

For most players (including me), in pretty much all games the playable character is not me. It doesn't represent me. I don't consider it as an image of myself.

The playable character is an avatar through which I interact with the game. A puppet. A tool. Or, if there is any sort of even vague emotional attachment to the character (which is not the case with PP, because there is no story and no character development, but sometimes can be with other games, at least in my case), a sort of "fictional friend", or "fictional companion" through which I play the game.

The playable character is not a projection of the player in almost any game where it's not customizable. If you play a Mario game, do you think "I am Mario, I look like this, this is me"? Or do you think "I control this fictional character named Mario, who looks like that"? You are not that character, it doesn't represent you. You control that character, and interact with the environment of the game through it.

When there is character customization in some games, most people do not try to make it look as close to themselves as possible. Why would they? This is an avatar, a fantasy character, a fictional character that the player controls. This is not the person him or herself. As mentioned, if there is any sort of emotional attachment to the character, you can think of as some sort of fictional imaginary "companion" or "friend", not as a representation of yourself.

Many people will make this imaginary character as cool as possible. Some people might make it ridiculous-looking. Others will make it look attractive, someone that they could imagine being good friends, or even attracted to. Some may try to make it as sensual as possible for titillation. There are many possible ways to approach character creation, but extremely rarely do people think of this customizable character as representing themselves. They do not think "this is me, this represents me, how I truly am, or what I would want to be".

I'm a man, and I have a female playable character in PP. I do not "identify" as a female, nor do I think that this playable character is me, or what I want to be, or how I "identify" myself. It's an avatar, a fictional character, completely separate from me. It's not a projection of myself. If you allow me to be a bit crude, the playable character is female mostly because of the old joke adage "if I have to look at an ass for hours on end, it better be a beautiful ass". As crude as it might sound, I prefer looking at a beautiful female character than an ugly dude. There's nothing more to it.

I do understand if some male players prefer creating male characters (who may look "cool", or "tough", or whatever), or female players creating female characters. A few of them might even really want the playable character to look as much as themselves as possible. Obviously that's fine. There is no correct answer to this. It's personal preference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the PS3 there was this game called 'Playstation Home'. The Four Kings game is the best resemblance of PS Home. 

In PS Home players could customise everything about their avatar and then engage with others in the world. Most players created avatars that represented them. I would never use a female avatar bc guys would approach me. Sometimes I would meet a player thinking they're a female just to find out later it's a man. It's hard to meet and engage with people in the 'avatar world' if a player is being deceptive about a very basic feature... man or woman. Some guys would use female avatars just to troll guys who were looking to befriend female gamers. I think it's bad taste, but whatever.

All in all, my avatars will always be a representation of myself and my interests, aside from tattoos and other stuff. Personally, I think that's why customization exists. I don't won't any man messaging me thinking that I'm a woman. 

Either way I'm here to play poker in an unbiased way. 

Edited by DaWiz_

7 hours ago, Warp said:

Some may try to make it as sensual as possible for titillation.

Giggaty!

7 hours ago, DaWiz_ said:

All in all, my avatars will always be a representation of myself and my interests, aside from tattoos and other stuff.

So you look like The Joker?

2 hours ago, Warp said:

So you look like The Joker?

Yup! I look just like The Joker.

Honestly... WTF are you implying. We're talking about in-game avatar 'customization', but you on some other shit... like always.😒

I honestly cannot understand how my message about you looking like The Joker can be interpreted as anything else than humor.

You said "my avatars will always be a representation of myself". That forum picture is an avatar.

My forum avatar doesn't represent myself. I'm not a Leatherback Baloth.

Edited by Warp
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Warp said:

I honestly cannot understand how my message about you looking like The Joker can be interpreted as anything else than humor.

You said "my avatars will always be a representation of myself". That forum picture is an avatar.

My forum avatar doesn't represent myself. I'm not a Leatherback Baloth.

It's all good... My apologies. I honestly don't why I'm still posting anyway. I'm just here for update news.

I didn't know my profile pic was considered an avatar.

698352691_PSCommunities_20180615_042216.thumb.jpg.20a75b96063e817f9e6d59da6cf4ca92.jpg

But anyways... I'm just a dumbass who can't take a joke. Life moves on....

On 6/13/2018 at 5:18 AM, DaWiz_ said:

All in all, my avatars will always be a representation of myself and my interests, aside from tattoos and other stuff. 

My exact quote... key words... 'my interests'.

I'm a big 'The Dark Knight' fan. It's the best batman movie ever. Just for the record.

But who cares, right?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaWiz_ said:

My exact quote... key words... 'my interests'.

Why are you acting so smug? Maybe you should have used those parentheses the first time and not put the word 'myself' right next to and before it. Everyone but you understood what Warp meant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, P0K3R said:

Why are you acting so smug? Maybe you should have used those parentheses the first time and not put the word 'myself' right next to and before it. Everyone but you understood what Warp meant.

Bruh... I really don't care how you or anybody else feel about my posts. I'm chillin!!!

I'm not here to appease anyone. Reading my posts is optional.

Edited by DaWiz_
  • Haha 1