Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads and etc.

These are the points you will gain or lose in ranked play.

In a Ranked Tournament (per player):

Against your same tier, you gain or lose 6 points.
Against the tier below you, you gain 4 or lose 8 points.
Against two tiers below you, you gain 3 or lose 9 points.
Against three tiers below you, you gain 2 or lose 10 points.
Against four tiers below you, you gain 1 or lose 11 points.

You gain points from each player that places lower than you.  You lose points to each player that places higher than you.  If you get 3rd place, you gain points from the 4th, 5th, and 6th place players, and you lose points to the 1st and 2nd place players, according to the values listed above.

In a Ranked Head to Head:

Against your same tier, you gain or lose 20 points.
Against the tier below you, you gain 14 or lose 26 points.
Against two tiers below you, you gain 10 or lose 30 points.
Against three tiers below you, you gain 6 or lose 34 points.
Against four tiers below you, you gain 4 or lose 36 points.

Assuming you always play against your own tier...

1st place = +30 points (6 x 5 - 6 x 0)
2nd place = +18 points (6 x 4 - 6 x 1)
3rd place = +6 points (6 x 3 - 6 x 2)
4th place = -6 points (6 x 2 - 6 x 3)
5th place = -18 points (6 x 1 - 6 x 4)
6th place = -30 points (6 x 0 - 6 x 5)

If you didn't play all of your provisional games last season, or if you finished with less than 1000 points, you start with 1000 points.  If you did play all of your provisionals, and ended higher than 1000, you'll start halfway between 1000 and last season's ending points.

Assuming you start at 1000 points, you need 300 points to reach Diamond.  You could do that by getting 1st place in 10 games, or by getting 3rd place in 50 games, or by being in the bubble somewhere between 10 and 50 games.  Of course it's more complex than that, since you'll almost certainly be playing against a mix of tiers much of the time.

• Thanks 4

I feel as though the point differences between tiers is a bit too extreme. If I'm a platinum, and I get matched to a table full of gold players, I risk losing 40 points, with only 20 to gain. Essentially, I've already lost 10 points just for sitting at the table, which would be fine, were it my choice to sit there, but it isn't. The only way to avoid this is to repeatedly quit & rejoin ranked matchmaking before "Ideal" cycles to "Good"

Here's another thing I find silly: Let's say my Rating is exactly 1200. If I lose a Head-to-head against an 1199, I lose 38 points. Yet if I defeat a 1299, they'd only lose 30.

Ratings fluctuate so wildly, and all it takes is one well-timed push to send you in either direction, that a person's Rating is rarely ever an accurate gauge of their skill level. Mine's been bouncing between Gold and Platinum all month. So am I a Platinum-skill player with bad runs, or a Gold-skill player with good runs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering today why I got zero change after coming 3rd. Guy that knocked me out was provisional and in 2nd was gold rank. I was really pissed off. Zero change after playing for 30-40mins and coming third with no reward.

2 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

I was wondering today why I got zero change after coming 3rd. Guy that knocked me out was provisional and in 2nd was gold rank. I was really pissed off. Zero change after playing for 30-40mins and coming third with no reward.

I'm not for sure on this but unless your playing in your provisional tournaments and don't have a rating yet everytime you get wiped out by a provisional player you either lose rating or there is no change to it because the system figures any rated player should be beating a provisional player.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rockguy24 said:

I'm not for sure on this but unless your playing in your provisional tournaments and don't have a rating yet everytime you get wiped out by a provisional player you either lose rating or there is no change to it because the system figures any rated player should be beating a provisional player.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention he was a returning player, probably a new season for him/her as their level was like 36 or something. 

I've been playing H2H matches and I noticed that I only received 10 pts for 1st place. I've only played ideal matches. I thought more points were provided in previous seasons. Has the rating calculations changed for H2H?

You used to get the same points for winning a H2H as you do for winning a tournament.  H2H games take about 1/3 as much time to play as tournaments, so the effort required to achieve the same rating and rewards in H2H, as measured by play time, is about 1/3 that of tournaments.  The points have been reduced to compensate.

• Like 1

Mike...the  reality is. this : The point system does not work.

When people reach Diamond they stop playing because the risk/reward is too great.

In the real world with enough players,yeah...there the point system might be ok. But here at Prominence Poker it is counter productive.

I know how frustrating it is to have a table with me and 1 other Diamond player and then 2 gold and 2 platinum players. Knowing I will get less for winning and punished more for loosing.

A much better system would be this...if the game can not match you with equal tier players..the tier should not mather. You get 30 for winning 15 for 2nd and 5 for 3rd...equally -5 for 4th...-15 for 5th and -30 for 6th 

This way everybody can play on equal terms..because the game WILL always put you in a a tournament with the same tier if possible..then add on others if it can't find enough players.

I find this system much better than the way it is now...punishing you for playing as Diamond...or Platinum for that matter and not able to get matched with enough players of your own tier.

What do you think Mike ?

Or any other players...

5 hours ago, Tor Ivar Sæternes said:

Mike...the  reality is. this : The point system does not work.

When people reach Diamond they stop playing because the risk/reward is too great.

In the real world with enough players,yeah...there the point system might be ok. But here at Prominence Poker it is counter productive.

I know how frustrating it is to have a table with me and 1 other Diamond player and then 2 gold and 2 platinum players. Knowing I will get less for winning and punished more for loosing.

A much better system would be this...if the game can not match you with equal tier players..the tier should not mather. You get 30 for winning 15 for 2nd and 5 for 3rd...equally -5 for 4th...-15 for 5th and -30 for 6th 

This way everybody can play on equal terms..because the game WILL always put you in a a tournament with the same tier if possible..then add on others if it can't find enough players.

I find this system much better than the way it is now...punishing you for playing as Diamond...or Platinum for that matter and not able to get matched with enough players of your own tier.

What do you think Mike ?

Or any other players...

I think that the Summer update will resolve a lot of issues with ranked games. Have you seen the Roadmap? 

Please reconsider increasing the amount of points we receive in H2H tournaments.  Playing in H2H tournaments isn't as fun as it used to be anymore.  It feels impossible to climb without spending hours and hours in that mode.

Not sure how many of the people I game with regularly are on these forums, but I've spoken to others who feel the same way and would like to see an increase in the points won after completing a H2H tournament.  Thank you!

I second that emotion. From a standing start at 1000 pts, you have to be +10 in your win/loss just to get to Gold. Forget about Platinum unless you’re really focused in Heads Up play. 

Yes, +/- 30 pts make for a roller coaster, but at least it gives you a realistic chance at the higher tiers with having spend your life away at the expense of full tourneys and ring games. 

7 hours ago, DaWiz_ said:

I think that the Summer update will resolve a lot of issues with ranked games. Have you seen the Roadmap? 

Yes i do hope the summer update will solve the issue with not able to play without risking loosing too much vs winning. I tried starting a Ranked tournament now..and as Platinum ,only one other player were in the search. Meaning the 2 of us would end up with maybe 4 gold players. Not exactly tempting..Knowing the reward would be less and the punishment greater. So I skipped it.

So please..Just find ideal opponents first..then add others, with the 30-15-5 point system I suggested.

Pitty it is 3 months to wait to see any changes.....

Edited by Tor Ivar Sæternes

20 hours ago, LV_Jag said:

Please reconsider increasing the amount of points we receive in H2H tournaments.  Playing in H2H tournaments isn't as fun as it used to be anymore.  It feels impossible to climb without spending hours and hours in that mode.

The H2H points have been increased, effective immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With the picture provided..Here is a good example of the problem with being a Diamond ranked player.

Being the only one...will mean I have to be matched with lower tier players. It also means..I will winn less and loose more.

It should be as simple as..yes search for "ideal" matches first..then add "Good" matches to fill the table,but do not "punish" higher tier players for not being able to be matched with their own level/tier.

Have a  +30,15,5 and -5,15,30 instead.

I understand the point system is taken from the real world..But it do not work when there is not enough players.

I want to play but hate knowing I will not get full points for 1st and I will loose more points for loosing.

I do not choose the play against lower tier players...there is not enough players at my level.

Please fix this. It will benefit everybody.

Especially near the end of the season..Diamond players "refuse" to play.

20180405_022818.jpg

Edited by Tor Ivar Sæternes
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, Mike Kelly said:

The H2H points have been increased, effective immediately.

Great, thank you so much!

Slightly off topic (ish) but this crossed my mind... if everyone was to go all in the very first hand of tourney, how would the points be distributed? Lol answers on a postcard

Please help me understand...

Ranked gold (1132) playing gold tourney.  All players had gold border.  I place 2nd and lose 6 points, so now at 1126.  How?  

Edited by Casher