Sign in to follow this  
Mr Chips

Give end of season rewards based on highest achieved rating?

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Nex said:

It would have two effects:

1) It would drastically decrease the difficulty of gaining those rewards (in turn upsetting players who previously earned the rewards the hard way).

2) It would probably do little to increase the number of people playing in those high-tier, ranked tournaments, as the issue there is not "people sitting on a tier because they're scared of losing a relatively small number of chips" but is instead an overall lack of players capable of and interested in participating in those high-tier tournaments at times that line up with whatever schedule a person might have in mind.

1) I can't see how it would make it easier to get to diamond, bar that players might actually be able to play in gold, platinum and maybe even diamond tournaments. In which case I would argue the benefits far outweigh the potential complaining by the literally tiny percentage of people who have made it to diamond (or even platinum).

2) In that case maybe you could switch the rep bonus for tournaments to Saturdays or Sundays, a day in which less people are likely to be working and thus have more time to try a tournament. And I do think adding unique items is a better incentive than the existing ones. Chips are easy to get and a nickname isn't all that great, whereas unique items stand out a lot more.

Personally the only reason I want to get to diamond is for that sweet, sweet, golden cigar (and I don't even smoke, that's how good it is!) Although at this stage I'm starting to wonder if I'm just a masochist :o
They don't have to be especially impressive, I know you're worried they may cheapen the golden cigar, but even a ring or a hat would be worth it.

You could maybe do a brief survey on Twitter and/or facebook asking why people don't play tournaments, or what would make them want to. With a small number of options to choose from.

That said, once the new affiliation comes out I'll probably stop caring about any of this, and be too busy trying out the new items :D

4 hours ago, Hecubus912 said:

Instead, as things stand, it feels like I'm rolling a heavy stone to the top of a mountain, only to have it roll all the way to the bottom every 30 days. 

What you're describing is a tournament. You didn't mention "tournament" one time in you post.

The purpose of the ranked tourney, IMO, is meant for players to climb the ladder (mountain) to reach the highest tier possible and gain a lucrative reward (a lot of free chips) on a monthly basis. 

On the PS4 platform finding a same tier game in a timely fashion during peak hours has been good. In addition, finding games during off peak hours is fair. Games, for me, have been competitive, conservative, intense (especially in the top three). This is a fun tournament that suits the needs of everyone.

If you prefer not to play for rewards (free chips!!!) in a more liberal setting you can still play unranked tourneys and ring games. I check the PS4 leaderboards periodically and more players are participating in ranked compared to unranked, at least it seems that way. So that's evidence that overall players are enjoying the tourney setup that's in place.

Edited by DaWiz_

I didn't mention tournaments because I wasn't talking about tournaments. I was talking about the seasons. 

For myself, yeah the awards are great but the more important challenge is to move up in the rankings. The resets make it harder for little discernible reason. In fact the better you play, the harder it gets. 

If I have a great season and move up 250 points, when there's a reset, it resets to the mean. I lose 125 points, going down as much as two tiers depending on where I'm at. This is before the provisional games.

If I have a poor season and gain say only 70 points, I only lose 35. How does this make sense?  If it's just about leveling the playing field, it hurts the newbie who plays well just as much.

One of the reasons I like ranked play is that the play is better at the higher tiers.  As it stands, every thirty days, I have to wallow with the donkeys to work my way back up.  It's vexing and to my mind, the resets frustrate players, depopulate the higher tiers, make it harder to find games at those tiers with no real benefit.

16 hours ago, Hecubus912 said:

Nex, you can't compare bankroll and rankings. As you say, you can buy bankroll. Leaderboard resets, there I can understand, but for ranking it makes little sense to me. 

You say one or two people would get to the top and dominate without playing. If they don't play, they would quickly find others catching up. Even a brand new player would get there with good play given enough time. If you're worried about the economy blowing up, make the awards a one time thing, just like achievements. 

Instead, as things stand, it feels like I'm rolling a heavy stone to the top of a mountain, only to have it roll all the way to the bottom every 30 days. 

If you want people to play at higher tiers, you need to populate those tiers. We saw great success with the one 60 day season. Imagine how they'd fill up without the resets. 

Who's comparing? I gave you two answers for the resets because you asked about both player rankings and Ranked leaderboards. Both reset for similar reasons.

(PS: I took the liberty of deleting the duplicate message you created.)

Well, you compared. I've never had a problem with the bankroll leaderboards being reset. I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning behind it, but it's not like my bankroll get reset to the mean every 30 days, so live and let live. I can see how it makes sense. 

Obviously, the ranking leaderboards can't be reset without removing peoples rankings. But even newbies can get to the top with good play.  The premise of the ranked reset makes no sense to me. For the regular boards, I can see the logic. Moreover, I don't care. I'm talking straight ranked points, which I've worked hard for, vanishing every 30 days. 

(PS Thanks for deleting the duplicate. Stupid phone.)

Edited by Hecubus912

The video below is a good example of how I see tourney play. I think the setup PP has implemented is in line with live tourney play. With the exception of players being permanently eliminated and the live tourney was a 7 day event.

Also, the WSOP event does not award "losing" players the same as "winning" players. The better you play the more you move up (tiers). The more you move up the harder it is (better competition). Once the event has ended players have to wait for a new tourney and "start over" no matter their rank. 

Edited by DaWiz_