Thomasnut

Tournament Tip

6 posts in this topic

Thomasnut    30

If you are in a tournament and\have a significant chip lead don't let people back in the game with silly preflop betting.  Ifl you are in 1-3 place,  in this example we will use first place. You are sitting on lets say 30k and a person sitting at the bottom suddenly goes all in,  why on earth would you call them if you only have a 2-3 suited.  (this actually happened last night).  

Now the person who was just about out is back in the tournament.  Unless your sitting on a top pair why even take the chance unless your colluding with the player. I see this far too often. Someone is almost out of the tournament and then is allowed back in because someone with a commanding chip lead decides to call a max preflop or all in preflop raise with a K-4, etc.  Even if you think you have the hand won,  why, just why why why?  Fold, let them have their small victory and keep the chips where they belong.  

• Like 1

I actually had a very similar experience last night but it was in a ring game.  This guy who got very lucky to get a big stack kept raising on us.  I would call him with what I was certain was a better hand, but the guy behind me kept reraising so I would fold after the big stack bully would call or raise again.  The guy behind me ended up losing about $60K because of this.  It was pretty frustrating.  

Thomasnut    30

Which is why i don't nderstand why people do it especially in tournaments. Here will use some examples from my last tournament. I came in 2nd, stupid side pot rule.  Anyway,  early in the tournament i'm sitting in 3rd place with around 9.5k.  Having folded the vast majority of hands,  one player gets knocked out.   Then this happens.

Pocket JJ's.  I bed 1.5k.  Now keep in mind i haven't bet a single hand but maybe 1 to this point. next person calls.  1st place player with chip lead around 21k raises.  Okay, he must have a good hand, so 2nd player folds, thomas calls.  flop - 3-j-7.  I'm sitting on 3 of a kind his bet.  He bets 1k. I raise 2k.  He calls..  Next card 9.   So My hand reads  J-J-J-3-7-Q.  I raise,  he reraises forces me to go all in.  I'm reading the cards,  No chance of a straight, no chance of a flush,  3 of a kind maybe?  Na thomas you got this. I call.  Cards flip.  The only thing he has is a K-2.

Thanks for handing me 17k and giving me first place..  So again, why, just why?  Very next hand,  

Okay, here's the situation, my parents went away for a week's vacation and... 

The person whom i just lost two goes All in pre flop.  I fold,  but thinking,  why,  just why. You are still in second place so even if you have a big pair what is the reasoning to go all in pre flop just to win a small victory.  Me in first place and person in 4th place folds.  3rd place player calls.. (who is the dude that won thanks to this one play, again stupid side pot rules.),  The dude in second place has K-Q of spades..  Okay, nice hand but again, why go all in.  third place has A-9.   And wins.  Now second place is knocked out.  2nd placer player is now in 1st place with commanding chip lead.  Thanks for nothing.. We down to 3.

Now a couple hands get played,  1st place 40k, me 18k, 3rd place 2k.  Guy with 40k goes all in pre flop.. Why? Is there some kind of super secret strategy i'm missing?  I fold.. guy in third calls.  Wins,  goes back up to 7k.   Now you just handed him 5k to stay in the game when just smart betting + blinds would have forced him out..  He eventually loses to the 1st place player going all in pre flop and now we down to two.  But just why?  

Doesn't add up folks.  So again - tip - if you have a commanding chip lead over someone else,  don't let them back in the game with silly betting. Let em have the small victory.  Nor go all in preflop and hand people commanding leads if there is absolutely no reason too even if you have a big pair.  

Are they on your friends list or again is there some kind of super secret strategy that i'm not privy too.   Just don't do it..

Run_Fox_Run    3

I don't like the All in jokers before the flop. I normally fold on my freebies and let them knock each other out but some of these players just don't know the etiquette of poker. It kills the fun in the game for me. Is there a thread for that here? I'm new to the forums.

Wuss^Timmy    3

I'll call sometimes depending on how they have been playing. Definitely, if even if they win, i could call them down 3 or 4 more times. This decision tends to happen for me when i have the opportunity to push out a player and put me in the money.  If its a piss poor strat i haven't learned the lesson in 15 years of tournament play.  One of the home games im in what frustrates me is a third bettor in a call down who bluffs the hand and forces me out to double up the person keeping us out of the money.